XMBC 1.46 released!

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
Daniel
New User

Re: XMBC 1.46 released!

Post by Daniel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:39 am

re: UAC Virtualization value for XMBC

I was not running as a regular user before, so the UAC virtualization column in Task Manager showed "Not Allowed" which seems to be what it is supposed to show. When I logged in as a regular user and ran Task Manager, the XMBC exe file had Disabled in the UAC Virtualization column of the Task Manager display. My apologies for the earlier confusion.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:23 pm

Here is what my machine is currently set to....

User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account: Disabled
User Account Control: Allow UIAccess applications to prompt for elevation without using the secure desktop: Disabled
User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode: Elevate without prompting
User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users: Prompt for credentials
User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation: Enabled
User Account Control: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated: Disabled
User Account Control: Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations: Enabled
User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode: Enabled
User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation: Enabled
User Account Control: Virtualize file and registry write failures to per-user locations: Enabled

So the only difference is with
User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode

And although I cant see it making much difference, it is something to try changing.
I'm busy this weekend so I wont get a chance to play with it but you might like to try setting it to "Elevate without prompting" to see if it makes any difference (I cant see how it will though because the whole point of the service is to bypass UAC - all services run elevated! :))

I think this is key:
2. "The description for Event ID 0 from source XMouseButton Launcher cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not

installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Unable to get elevated version of the user token: 1312
Assuming UAC is disabled.
That suggests a problem in the service (which makes sense) and therefore XMBC is not being launched elevated. the question is, what is the reason?

The message suggests that the service is trying to get an elevated token for a user which does not have the ability to elevate. This may well be correct for a regular user (regular users can not elevate - they require a different account - and that is why XMBC can not auto-elevate on a regular user account. As I said before I can understand why it does not work on a regular user account - its the admin account (that should be able to elevate) that puzzles me.

the only way for XMBC to elevate on a regular account would be if you provided a username and password of an account that it can use to elevate, but thats not currently an option. It makes no difference what account the service runs under - maybe I can use that account but you would have to use something other than a built-in (local system/network service) account (ie. a real user account) because otherwise the settings may not be correctly saved/restored.

Its something I will have to investigate further when I get a chance.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-9600k, Asus Z390-ROG, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, Evo 970 500Gb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

haxy27
New User

Post by haxy27 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:02 am

XMBC 7 boton + 3 botton left, right X1 botton, DPI botton = 400, 800, 1600, 2000 dpi