XMBC 1.46 released!

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links or images until they have at least 4 posts.
phil
Site Admin

XMBC 1.46 released!

Post by phil » Wed May 06, 2009 2:18 am

Hi all,

I have just released 1.46 which fixes a bug with simulated keystrokes introduced in 1.45 :oops: (and partially existed in earlier versions although maybe not so noticeably).

The change log is here.

The download links as usual are here

EDIT: I notice the mirror site web page is not up to date and is still linking to 1.44 on the "alternate mirror" so please use the main link (from there you can select the mirror download successfully!)

Thanks,
Phil.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-9600k, Asus Z390-ROG, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, Evo 970 500Gb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

hyrumark
New User

Re: XMBC 1.46 released!

Post by hyrumark » Wed May 06, 2009 5:14 am

Incredible, that you so much for the fast bugfix. It's apps like this that make computing so much more enjoyable and productive. I'll be sure to send a much deserved donation!

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Wed May 06, 2009 8:07 am

My pleasure, and thanks; its always good to get positive feedback :)
--[ Phil ]--

Torrente

Post by Torrente » Fri May 08, 2009 8:54 am

Excellent release, thank you Phil !

Daniel
New User

Post by Daniel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:29 pm

I am trying 1.46 using Windows 7 x64 RC1. Everything works fine with my Kensington Expert Mouse (I do miss the custom acceleration, though) except when I am forced to run applications either with Administrative privileges or in XP SP3 compatibility. When a program is run with Administrative privileges, in XP SP3 compatibility mode, or both, XMBC no longer seems to be intercepting the mouse events; i.e., my mouse reverts to standard Windows 7 functionality. Any thoughts?

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:13 pm

How are you starting XMBC? Are you letting it autostart with the windows service, or are you running it manually from the start menu?

If you run it manually, you have to make sure you run XMBC as administrator if you want it to "intercept" the mouse events. That is what the service is for (to run it with admin priv's automatically on startup) - this is working for me on Win7 RC1 (x64).

Not sure about XP Compatibility - but I suspect its the same issue (I will check if that is working for me later).

Phil
--[ Phil ]--

Daniel
New User

Post by Daniel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:41 pm

I installed XMBC from the Administrator account and it starts when Windows 7 starts up. I see the icon in my task bar whether I am logged in as Administrator or as a "regular" user.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:17 pm

OK, so the "autostart" is working, then I dont understand why you would have the proble you are reporting (when I don't have the problem).

What have you got UAC settings set to? Default?
Can you check to see what priv's XMBC is running as (to do this, open task manager, select processes, on the view menu, select columns and tick the "User account Control (UAC) Virtualization" box, press ok and have a look and see what it says in the "UAC Virtualization" column for the XMouseButtonControl.exe process)?

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

Daniel
New User

How Do I Run XMBC 1.46 in Administrator Mode

Post by Daniel » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:25 am

I am running XMBC 1.46 with Windows 7 RC1. I installed it using the Administrator account. When I run it logged in with the Administrator account, everything works fine. When I run it logged in as a regular user it works fine unless I have to run a program in Administrator mode. Under these circumstances XMBC 1.46 no longer works.

On the XMBC download page it says "If you are using UAC (on by default) then XMouse will not work with programs running in Administrator mode unless XMouse is run in Administrator mode." XMBC is an automatically started service that runs when the computer is booted into Windows 7. How do I get it to run in Administrator mode so it will work when running other programs in Administrator mode from my regular user account? I tried modifying the service startup parameters to start the service under the Administrator account instead of the local system account, but this did not work.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:05 am

As I said, XMBC should work fine with administrator mode applications on windows 7 (and Vista) if it is started by the service. It works for me on both version of Windows 7 RC1 (x86 and x64) and you are the first to report such a problem - with little information, its not easy to second guess what is wrong.

Please can you do what I asked in the previous post, and tell me what task manager reports in the "UAC Virtualization" column for XMouseButtonControl.exe? Then I might be able to see a little more of what is going on.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

Daniel
New User

Post by Daniel » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:37 pm

phil,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your information request. I am logged on as Administrator and looking at the Task Manager Processes tab. The XMouseButtonControl.exe process has "Not Allowed" in the UAC Virtualization column.

-Dan

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:12 pm

Not allowed? I've never seen that.... What sort of user are you running as?
It will only work if the user has the ability to elevate (without having to enter a username or password)?
--[ Phil ]--

Daniel
New User

Post by Daniel » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:44 pm

phil,

When I ran task manager I was logged on as user Administrator. When I installed Windows 7, the initial account it asked for when installing was a member of the group Administrators, but the actual account named Administrator was disabled at initial installation. After installation, I disabled the initial account used for install, enabled the account named Administrator, which is a member of the group Administrators, and then added a "regular user" account which I try to use for everything except installing software and performing system maintenance/management tasks.

I was googling "UAC virtualization" and saw some stuff that seemed to indicate the UAC virtualization may not be turned on by default for 64 bit Vista and Windows 7. The links I looked at talked about using the Group Policy Editor setting for Security to get UAC virtualization working. I don't know if this makes sense to you regarding how I might fix things.

-Dan

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:21 am

OK, this is confusing. I am currently running Windows 7 x64 and have had no such problems. UAC Virtualization is enabled (and I didn't change anything) so this is very confusing.

I could understand maybe why a "regular" user could have problems with elevated apps, but not an account with an administrative token (able to elevate without entering another account & password). However, Win7 is still new so I guess maybe these bugs will crawl out - I'm just a little surprised (and stuck for ideas) as its not effecting me :(

In my task manager, there is nothing like "Not Allowed", I have either "Disabled", "Enabled", or blank (in the case of XMBC).

Can you have a look in the system event log and see if there are any messages from the 'XMouseButton Launcher' service that has any relevant information (for example any errors or warnings)?

Have you changed any UAC settings (e.g. I turned mine down one step to stop nagging but it is still enabled). I have tried it on several different settings but not all of them.

Other than those questions, I don't really know what else to ask :(

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

Daniel
New User

Post by Daniel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:00 pm

phil,

Thanks for taking the time to walk through this issue with me. I am including the messages from my system log below. They were generated this

morning EDT (GMT-5) when I logged in as Administrator. They are listed chronologically in order of their appearance during startup.

1. "The XMouseButton Launcher service entered the running state." Source - Service Control Manager

2. "The description for Event ID 0 from source XMouseButton Launcher cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not

installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Unable to get elevated version of the user token: 1312
Assuming UAC is disabled.

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file" Source - XMouseButton Launcher

3. "The description for Event ID 0 from source XMouseButton Launcher cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not

installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Create process 'C:\Program Files\Highresolution Enterprises\X-Mouse Button Control\XMouseButtonControl.exe'."

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file" Source - XMouseButton Launcher

It sure looks like something weird is going on here. Could you tell me what the local security policy entries for UAC look like on your machine?

I found mine by running the Administrative Tools selection in the Control Panel. From Administrative Tools I selected the Local Security Policy

entry. In the Local Security Policy windows I expanded the Local Policies entry and then selected the Security Options entry. The Security

Options entry displayed a number of entries, 10 of which covered User Account Control. I used the export list option from the menu to capture my entries. I have listed them below.

User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account Disabled
User Account Control: Allow UIAccess applications to prompt for elevation without using the secure desktop Disabled
User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode Prompt for consent on the secure desktop
User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users Prompt for credentials
User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation Enabled
User Account Control: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated Disabled
User Account Control: Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations Enabled
User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode Enabled
User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation Enabled
User Account Control: Virtualize file and registry write failures to per-user locations Enabled

-Dan