Left held button as right click

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
TwilitTera
New User

Left held button as right click

Post by TwilitTera » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:52 am

Hello!

I tried searching the forums but if my question has been asked it's been buried deep.

I'm running a windows compatible mouse (Genius Pen Mouse) on a 64bit Win 10 with more processing power than I know what to do with. Most functions in XMBC seem to operate as I would expect, but there's only one I need and it's the one I can't seem to sort out. You see, the right mouse button is inconveniently placed and I can't hold the mouse steady when painting, which is what I purchased it for, so I'd like to use the left mouse button for both left and right mouse functions, by holding it to use a right-mouse button feature.

Here is a link to a screen shot of the dialogue options for the Button Held: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gSWGDt ... sp=sharing

Please respond at your convenience. Many thanks.

phil
Site Admin

Re: Left held button as right click

Post by phil » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:03 am

Hi, With the button held option, the time dependent option is not invoked until the button is released (when XMBC knows how long the button was held for). This might be the problem.

You should be able to test this on the desktop by holding left for more than 500ms then when you release the button, the right click context menu should be invoked!

This feature is new in 2.17 so there are likely to be some issues. I must admit, that I intended the "final" time dependent action (in this case, right click) to be invoked (pressed) as soon as the initial time is up and released when the button is released - but this clearly isn't the case right now - so I will look into that.

Bear in mind that changing the left button can have some nasty sider effect, like for example left click and drag (unless you tick the "abort if mouse moves" checkbox... Also some apps (games) don't like injected input and may not see the left click, or see it twice - so generally I don't recommend changing the primary button in XMBC unless you are sure of what you are doing, and its probably a good idea to enable the option "Disable XMBC when scroll lock is enabled" so you can easily turn off XMBC if something goes wrong and the left button stops working!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

TwilitTera
New User

Re: Left held button as right click

Post by TwilitTera » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:14 pm

:::UPDATE:::

D'oh!

Yes, as with most things, we can totally chalk this one up to user error. I had put my settings under the right mouse button control instead of the left. I discovered this after accidentally holding the right mouse button too long today.

Moved it around and Oila! Fixed! Thanks for looking into it anyway. :D

phil wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:03 am
Hi, With the button held option, the time dependent option is not invoked until the button is released (when XMBC knows how long the button was held for). This might be the problem.
Thanks for answering so quickly, Phil. Yes, I did notice this in the documentation (which was well-written, btw, and thank you for that). I tried several times to hold and release before ruling out user-error.
phil wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:03 am
This feature is new in 2.17 so there are likely to be some issues. I must admit, that I intended the "final" time dependent action (in this case, right click) to be invoked (pressed) as soon as the initial time is up and released when the button is released - but this clearly isn't the case right now - so I will look into that.
I wondered if this might be a feature in need of debugging. I hope my report is useful to you.
Bear in mind that changing the left button can have some nasty sider effect, like for example left click and drag (unless you tick the "abort if mouse moves" checkbox... Also some apps (games) don't like injected input and may not see the left click, or see it twice - so generally I don't recommend changing the primary button in XMBC unless you are sure of what you are doing, and its probably a good idea to enable the option "Disable XMBC when scroll lock is enabled" so you can easily turn off XMBC if something goes wrong and the left button stops working!
I will keep all that in mind! Thanks for the advice!

~Tera