Left-handed/right-handed switchin mode

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
hooddy
New User

Left-handed/right-handed switchin mode

Post by hooddy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:48 pm

Well hi there. Please sorry about askin for my needs in inappropriate thread. Anyway...
I'm left-handed user. And there is another one right-handed user. I need to use some keyboard hotkey to switch between left-handed and right-handed layers to reduce some mouse and keyborad actions like open control panel, open mouse settings, set swappin mouse button, press ok/enter and so on. I need an one hotkey keyboard action for swappin mouse button from left-handed to right-handed and vice versa mode. Please advice me.

phil
Site Admin

Re: Left-handed/right-handed switchin mode

Post by phil » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Ah OK, now your previous question makes more sense!

So by default do you have your mouse in left hand mode or right hand mode (I will assume left for now).
I will also assume only one profile for now (default).

On layer 1 leave left and right as "No change (don't intercept)"
and on layer two, for the left button, select "Right click" and for the right button, select "Left click"

Open Settings and go to the global hotkey page. Tick the box to turn on hotkeys.
Assign a key sequence to Layer 1 (eg. CTRL+ALT+1)
Assign a key sequence to Layer 2 (eg. CTRL+ALT+2)

Ok/Apply it all
Close the XMBC window (global hotkeys only work when the main XMBC window is closed.

Now CTRL+ALT+1 will enable layer 1 (left handed mode)
and CTRL+ALT+2 will enable layer 2 (right handed mode)

The little XMBC icon should indicate what layer is active.

Thanks
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

hooddy
New User

Post by hooddy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:32 am

Wow that's works. Thanks really. The one things left. It indicates in systray for alternate mode with 2nd layer. 1st layer isn't indicated so systray mouse icon is in common state. How can I change this to indicates 1st layer and 2nd layer?

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:49 am

Yes that's by design, layer 1 has the default icon.
However, you can customise the icons, by dropping an icon in the same folder as your XMBC settings....

The FAQ and user manual explain roughly how to do this. Just create a 16x16 icon of your choice and call it "Layer1.ico" - you can do this for all layers.
Here is the "template" XMBC icon if you want to modify it.
XMBCIcon.zip
Thanks,
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--

hooddy
New User

Post by hooddy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:53 pm

Ok... there is some inconvience... Let me try to explain in my bad english. With mouse all the way is ok. But there is some mess with touchpad when I use soft like your and any other to switch left/right nahded mode. So after couple of switch to one and the other mode mouse start work with left-handed mode and touchpad is in right-handed mode and so on. I can't explain more correctly I gonna to check it out by yourself if ya can. This mess is very annoiyng me.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:47 am

Hi Hoody,

XMBC is unable to distinguish between mouse and touchpad, or even between different mice.
If you are using other software that controls only the touchpad and swaps the buttons then that is probably going to conflict with XMBC and cause this type of confusion.

Ideally, you would use XMBC to swap buttons, but use the built in Windows "Swap left and right buttons" which you can do through XMBC but not per layer on the default profile. I will look at that as there is no reason not to allow that as far as I can tell. But right now the only way to do it is by setting left to right and right to left ((which is not ideal).

Personally I dont have any software that changes my touchpad like that (I dont use my laptop with touchpad very often) - what software are you using to do this?

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

hooddy
New User

Post by hooddy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:11 am

Well I'm use Logitech bluetooth mice n keyboard k400+. I've no any compliance about your app. Its fine. Just have some inconvience. Im just though when im change mice layer so touchpad switching too, like if i change mice settings in control panel. But it can't. Whith any other swap apps for mice is the same. I suppose i need some another way for my needs or use it as it. Maybe you can find some way to swap mice n touchpad buttons together so it would be cool. Anyway thanks for your app it handy already.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:29 am

Well, I expected XMBC to change the touchpad buttons too because XMBC cant tell the difference between mouse and touchpad buttons - so I'm surprised that XMBC is not swapping the touchpad buttons... At the level XMBC works, it normally sees both mouse button messages and touchpad buttons messages (which are seen no differently from mouse messages). the only possibility is that your touchpad (or touchpad driver) is not actually behaving like a mouse and not sending mouse messages but controlling windows in some other way - I guess this is possible with a modern multi-point touchpad that we are starting to see but my old laptop's touchpad still behaves like a mouse last time I checked (I will check again).

Do you know who makes the actual touchpad / touchpad driver (not likely to be the maker of the laptop - they usually buy in these parts from a 3rd part like Elan)?

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

hooddy
New User

Post by hooddy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 am

The k400+ Logitech keyboard have touchpad and it use one Bluetooth dongle for mice n keyboard via Logitech Option app. I can look into device manager for some dev id or any other info you need.