Simulated Keystroke "Block original mouse input" setting ignored

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
Nomedias
New User

Simulated Keystroke "Block original mouse input" setting ignored

Post by Nomedias » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:46 am

Pretty much what the title says. Recently installed 2.16.1 to see if it would resolve an issue with Elecom mouse software keymapping not being seen by some apps. I configured mouse button 5 on follows:

Code: Select all

<XRight action="28" keys="{F8}" keyaction="2" keyrepeat="0" active="false" blockmouse="true" randomisedelay="false" app="">
			<mts Lock="false" Sticky="false" Block="true" InvV="false" InvH="false" Sensitivity="5" />
		</XRight>
However, all programs see both the mouse action and F8. For example when mapping a shortcut in Mumble it records as "M:Button 4 + K:F8". According the manual, checking "Block original mouse input" should make it return just F8.

Other details: Windows 10 64-bit, Elecom M-XT3URBK Trackball, tried with OEM and generic drivers

I've read through the forums and manual, but I don't see anything obvious I missed. Suggestions?

Nomedias
New User

Re: Simulated Keystroke "Block original mouse input" setting ignored

Post by Nomedias » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:35 am

Replying to my own post, as I found a previous post that describes the situation well. However, there doesn't appear to have been a resolution.

http://forums.highrez.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1956

Another program that sees this behavior is the Discord Desktop app.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:08 am

Hi, when you say some apps, I wonder what those apps are. You mention "Mumble", a quick google search says that mumble uses global hooks - as does XMBC. The problem with global hooks, as mentioned in the other thread you linked, is that there is no way you can control the order in which the hooks are inserted - it depends on which program runs and installs the hook first (but I can't remember off the top of my head which way round it is, I think that the last app to load and hook gets priority).

The problem here (again, as described in the other thread) is that XMBC can *only* block/cancel the action once it sees the message. If another program has hooked the mouse, then it could/will see the message before XMBC, depending on load order.

There is nothing (that I know of) that can be done about this, other than somehow controlling the startup/hook install order. Check if disabling and re-enabling XMBC after mumble has loaded makes a difference (as that removes and reinstalls the hook, thus potentially changing the order).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

Nomedias
New User

Post by Nomedias » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Check if disabling and re-enabling XMBC after mumble has loaded makes a difference (as that removes and reinstalls the hook, thus potentially changing the order).
Actually I tried this in various orders. In some cases I would see the order change so Mumble would see "K:F8 + M:Button 4" rather than "M:Button 4 + K:F8", but at no point was it just "K:F8".

I can see your point on why this is happening and I can probably work with it as is. My only remote concern was that as I understand it there are games that have rules against more than 1:1 macros. Whether they can detect it is a different story I'm aware and the claims I've read of people being banned just for running X-Mouse or other such apps seemed dubious to me. Just didn't want to set something up, forget about it and have it trip me up later if I did start such a game.

Thanks for the great app, definitely resolves an issue I had. Once I'm sure, expect a small donation. (B)