Blocking several clicks instead of only one?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Blocking several clicks instead of only one?

Post by injtsvetkov » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:27 am

Hi Phil,

Two of my mice have hardware problem and often send several clicks (2-3) on a single button press. I was wondering if it would be possible to somehow block the unneeded clicks in a very short interval after the first one but still be able to double-click. Or maybe block all the clicks including the first one and send only one click instead. Maybe some option in Sim Keys to intercept not only one but all clicks in a given interval. Probably would be something like the "Ignore repeated remapped scroll". What do you think?

Thanks
Iliya
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB

phil
Site Admin

Re: Blocking several clicks instead of only one?

Post by phil » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:15 am

My Logitech mouse is suffering a similar problem (so much so I have ordered some new microswitch and I'm going to fix it myself).
I tried the debounce but its really not very useful, mainly because sometimes the button releases mid-drag.

I cam to the conclusion yesterday that its not possible to properly fix this in software -and I dont think blocking clicks within a period will fix it, not lease because this wont deal with the problem of a click being released when it shouldn't be. The debounce should already block within the time period (and number of clicks) and it simply isn't reliable for a button that is past its best - I dont think this idea will help much - and could make matters worse.

:(

Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:33 am

Thanks Phil, that's all I needed to know!

In fact, one of my mice is also Logitech. The other one is a very old mouse at work that has some kind of a software problem I think. Sometimes it works flawlessly but very often it's wheel goes mad - sending 2-3 MMB clicks at a time and when I scroll in one direction it sends scrolls in both directions like that:
Up-Down-Up-Down-Up-Down-Up-Up-Down-Up-Down-Down-Up-Down...
I've noticed that the situation sometimes changes after reboot but randomly - might work, might not, so it's not worth trying...
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Its very unlikely to be a software problem with that mouse wheel/button - much more likely to be caused by hardware issues (like dirty/worn contacts).
There isn't a lot of "software" on a normal mouse!

Its quite common - back in the early 90s I remember (frequently) disassembling C64/Amiga joysticks and mice because the micro switches had seized/stuck or just gotten dirty... Normally disassembling, cleaning (with some mentholated spirits and or sand paper) and reassembling was all it required to fix it :).

I was going to try that with my Logitech G9 but I thought I would order some new switches before i took it to bits just in case I'm less good at that job now :P (I probably wont be able to see the things without the help of a magnifying glass these days :lol:)

Phil
--[ Phil ]--

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:21 am

2 new micro switches (from ebay) later, a little effort with the soldering iron and m mouse button and my Logitech G9 buttons are restored to their former glory :) The MMB is a different switch though on this device and would be much less repairable :(
--[ Phil ]--