Volume2 stopped working with XMBC 2.16.1

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links or images until they have at least 4 posts.
digitaltimer
New User

Volume2 stopped working with XMBC 2.16.1

Post by digitaltimer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi, Volume2 is a program that, among other things, allows you to change the volume by hovering over the task bar and turning the mouse wheel. With XMBC 2.16.1 this functionality doesn't work anymore. If I close XMBC it works again. If I open Volume2 while XMBC is running, it will also work again.

I'm using Volume² v1.1.5, build 399, which is available at irzyxa.wordpress.com/downloads/

* Installed version (x64 standard path)
* Win 10 x64
* XMBC 2.16.1
* Logitech G300 driver, Logitech Gaming Software (which has never been a problem)

Thanks!

phil
Site Admin

Re: Volume2 stopped working with XMBC 2.16.1

Post by phil » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Off the top of mt head, I don't know why 2.16.1 would be any different in this regard from earlier versions.
I'll try and have a look and see if I can reproduce this, but it would be useful if you could PM me a copy of your settings.

I also have to ask, why not just use the one program, XMBC is able to controlling the volume (among other things) when hovering anywhere, especially the system tray (I do that).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-9600k, Asus Z390-ROG, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, Evo 970 500Gb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

digitaltimer
New User

Post by digitaltimer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:49 pm

I pm'd you my settings file. Maybe this is related, I just noticed I get an error message when I open or close the Advanced tab in Global Settings: "Enter an integer between 200 and 8000."

I didn't know you can this with XMBC, that's pretty cool. Out of curiosity, where can I set this? I don't see how it works.

Anyway, Volume2 has some pretty unique features, especially the ability to change the standard sound card via hotkey. Pretty nifty if you have several sound cards.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:54 pm

OK - I will take a look at your settings I cant see anything obviously wrong so I'll have to install volmouse and see if I can reproduce the problem (I will try and find some time over the weekend)

That message will be for the mouse hook timeout setting - it would be good to set it in range, but I doubt it will be the cause of this particular problem.

As for the volume thing, I'll put together a sample profile and send it to you, but the switching soundcards will be tricky! I have made a separate program to do that in the past for my media PC - maybe I should consider adding that to XMBC :)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

digitaltimer
New User

Post by digitaltimer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Just to be sure, it's Volume2, not Volumouse.

Your last paragraph made me laugh! Thanks for your efforts and your incredibly useful program, I've already donated earlier this year. :)

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:29 pm

I just grabbed volume2 (portable) and I dont appear to have any problems using it with XMBC (I'm using XMBC 2.17 beta 1 but there should be no real difference in this area from 2.16.1 - your welcome to try it though, its in the 2.17 beta thread in this forum.).

Are you using the portable or installed version of Volume2?
You say if you start volume2 with XMBC running its OK - so exactly how do you get it to the point where it does not work - is it after windows startup (I haven't tried that yet - I better grab the non-portable version and give that a go....)?

Something else to try, instead of closing XMBC, disable it - see if that works, then enable it, see if it still works.
I'm guessing Volume2 uses a mouse hook (its opensource so I can have a look if need be) and maybe the hook is mixing badly with XMBC's mouse hook. Either that or XMBC is changing the messages its looking for to something else. Can you send me (via PM) your XMBC settings - use the save profile button on the main screen and send me the result by PM).

EDIT: Seems to work for me after a restart too... I will wait for further information/settings - thanks.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

digitaltimer
New User

Post by digitaltimer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:36 pm

I investigated a bit more. Uninstalled all mouse related devices in device manager, uninstalled both XMouse and Volume2 and reinstalled. Tried both the non-beta version of Volume2 and the beta version of XMouse - no change.

For both programs, I use the installed versions.

Yes, the problem indeed occurs after rebooting. It didn't occur when having XMouse installed and then installing Volume2 (without rebooting).

So my scenario is this: Freshly booted Win10 system. Both XMouse and Vol2 running. Vol2 mouse hovering does not work. Close or disable XMouse - Vol2 works consistently. Load or enable XMouse - Vol2 stops working consistently. I've already sent you my settings via PM a while ago.

I've found a workaround, there's a setting in Vol2 that says "Reload the hooks every X ms". Don't know yet if this produces any ill effects.