Feature Request:Basic Gestures

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
New User

Feature Request:Basic Gestures

Post by jcee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:19 am

Ive been using this app for ages, however sometimes it still feels like my mouse could use a couple more buttons!
The solution is to include basic gestures, which I have been using strokesplus for, however that software is seemingly overkill...
I would suggest the inclusion of 4 basic gestures in X-mouse (up, down, left, right) that are activated by holding down one of the mouse buttons (middle- click, right click, or left click, as-defined by the user in settings) They would need to work with layers preferably.
A mockup of the new UI: http://i.imgur.com/oFi1Ipy.png

Site Admin

Re: Feature Request:Basic Gestures

Post by phil » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks, gestures have been on the todo list for about 6 years or more.
Unfortunately its a huge amount of work, and I simply dont have the time (I did start looking into it and then gave up about 4 years ago).

The proposed UI probably wouldn't work for me like that, for one, the window is already scarily close to full screen on low res displays. If I were to do it, I would have an configurable action called Gestures in the dropdown attached to a button, much like button chording, bring up a second screen allowing you to configure each gesture, and what to do if no gesture is performed.

Probably the biggest challenge, is having gesture recognition within the moue hook itself (because you have to respond as quickly as possible in there or risk having the hook removed by Windows without any notice). I guess other programs must do it this way (??!) but last time I looked, It was too slow - maybe I was trying too much at the time.

With the implementation of chording in 2.15 and later, there is a little more chance that I could add gestures with a little less pain but its still going to be relatively, a large amount of work, so I'm still not making any promises.

--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

Re: Feature Request:Basic Gestures

Post by twinsen » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:33 am

+1 for gestures, but if it is too complicated for now - maybe only basic chording like:
fast left then right -> simulated keys -> next page in history
fast right then left -> smulated keys -> previous page in history.

Normally I would use Rocker FF for Firefox, but that one stopped working in new FF Quantum -> alternatives are very bad now.
For Chrome I use History Rocker Gestures, which includes chording in the way described above.
But if you could implement this, then one less pluging in my browser, making them faster ;-)

EDIT: Oh, I just upgraded to 2.17 and realized that this is implemented, as sequence of keys. God bless you!
Now I have working chording in ALL THE BROWSERS I use, without any plugin. Keep going!
I'm so glad for this, that once my nexy salary comes, another donation will happen ;-)