Active window and simulated keystrokes

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
manudeea
New User

Active window and simulated keystrokes

Postby manudeea » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:23 am

I apologize if this question has been answered in the user guide, FAQ, or the forum, but having looked through all of those, I'm still without a definitive answer.

If a window is active, i.e, has keyboard focus, does it receive simulated keystrokes if the the mouse is not over the window? My active windows only receive the simulated keystrokes when the mouse is over the window. Of course, via the keyboard, they receive all keystrokes wherever the mouse is.

If this is the correct behavior, is there a setting that changes it so that the window with keyboard focus receives the simulated keystrokes even if the mouse if not over it?

I'm using an Anywhere MX 2 mouse with Windows 8.1 and XMBC 2.14.

Thanks and great product!

phil
Site Admin

Re: Active window and simulated keystrokes

Postby phil » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:31 am

So long as the window has keyboard focus AND the active profile has the simulated keys (note the active profile is/can be dependent on if the cursor is over a window) then it should work fine (and does here).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

manudeea
New User

Postby manudeea » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:11 am

Thanks for your quick reply. If I could give you a real-life example just to further clear things up for me...

Let's say I open VLC media player which occupies a tiny window. I have created a profile for "vlc" where my middle mouse button sends a CTRL-Q to quit the program. This, of course, works just fine when VLC has keyboard focus and my mouse pointer is over the VLC window. Is there any way to make this middle button work if I move my mouse pointer away from the VLC window (still with keyboard focus)?

Sorry for being slow to comprehend things.

phil
Site Admin

Postby phil » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:12 am

You could turn off the "enable proflie switching on mouse move" in advanced settings, that way the profile will only follow the active window. Of course, then that may have other adverse effects, depending on your usage patterns and other profiles.

I suppose I could add an option to the profile options to disable profile switching on mouse move for specific profiles, meaning it would lock on only one profile until you actually changed focus - but that's more complex and something I can add (at some point in the future) if the above option is not suitable.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

manudeea
New User

Postby manudeea » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:52 am

Phil,

Thanks, that did the trick! For now, turning off the "enable proflie switching on mouse move" option hasn't caused any problems but I can always re-enable it if needed.

Thanks again for such a great product - it really outshines the Logitech Setpoint/Options.

phil
Site Admin

Postby phil » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:22 am

For what its worth, in 2.16 Beta 2 I have added the ability to set each profile to override the "switch profiles on mouse over" so for a specific application/window you can override the default.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

Return to “XMouse Button Control”