'Find Window' profile doesn't work for sub-frames of a dialog box

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
natj
New User

'Find Window' profile doesn't work for sub-frames of a dialog box

Post by natj » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:21 am

First let me say 'Thanks Phil' - what an awesome piece of software!

I'm trying to set up a profile specific to a 'Printing Preferences' window for my printer to easily change page size, double sided etc. This sort of window is called up by many different programs, so the process name can vary. I have worked out a partial solution by matching the Caption (Canon C5250 Admin Properties) and Class (#32770) of the window, and leaving the Process field blank.

This works well enough, but the profile is only active when the mouse is hovering over the title bar, or the very bottom of the form. As soon as it the mouse hovers over a sub-frame or a button (which compose the majority of the form) the profile is no longer active. In order to make the XMBC commands work, I have to hover over the title bar of the window. Some of the XMBC commands I am using involve relocating the mouse pointer position and clicking (there are no keyboard shortcuts which I can use to get to the command) - after which the commands wont work any more, since the mouse is no longer hovering over the title bar and is now hovering over a button or subform.

Is there a way to include subform frames and elements in the profile?

phil
Site Admin

Re: 'Find Window' profile doesn't work for sub-frames of a dialog box

Post by phil » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:29 am

For dialogs with sub-components, I can see how this could be a problem. It works OK if you use the drag tool and select a sub-frame component, bur only while the mouse is within the frame, and as soon as it is over a button, radio box, checkbox etc. its not over the frame so the profile is no longer active.

I guess what we need is the option to say "anything with a parent (or ancestor)" matching the specified Windows Details.

I should be able to add that in the future, but right now, I cant think of a simple workaround, short of adding lots of separate profiles for each button which will be unreliable as it may be triggered elsewhere.

I'll add it to the todo list, but I cant make a new beta/release until I get a new code signing certificate, ad my provider is being slow at sending me a new hardware key which became a requirement on the 1st Feb :(.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

natj
New User

Post by natj » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks Phil, it would be great to have that option. For the moment, hovering over the title bar works for me. As the curser position is moved during some of the commands, I have added some extra script to return it to the title bar each time, so I can use multiple commands.
Nat

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:25 am

I have added this to 2.16 Beta 2. Feel free to try it out.
In the window profile editor, there is now a dropdown to select the "match type" which can be window, parent window, window and parent etc.
xmbcfind.png
Thanks,
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)