Doesn't work in Fear2

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
Pabblo
New User

Doesn't work in Fear2

Post by Pabblo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:33 am

I found out about XMouse from the user forum for Fear2. I was searching for the non functionality of my mouses side buttons. Someone posted the link to xmouse. I installed it and when I run it, the Left X button does highlight yellow. I assigned Enter to that button but the game strips it and the button does nothing. It appears from the forum posts that it happens to MS mice. I have a Laser mouse 6000 v2.

shinobi
New User

Re: Doesn't work in Fear2

Post by shinobi » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:29 am

Yes I noticed this too. I appreciate the effort of such a plugin program to simulate the logitech for our MS mice. I have a laser too. I guess I should buy a better mouse. :mrgreen:

I assigned R to the left side button and G to the right side button. When I get in the game the keyboard still works the same but the buttons on the mouse assigned do not.

That was really a bonehead thing for Monolith to do the game.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:34 am

As I've said in other posts, its probably because the game intercepts the injected keystrokes and disregards them in an effort to prevent cheating.

However, its possible its just a "bug" :)

I am going to get hold of Fear2 (it looks pretty good) so I will be able to test this for myself.
Its nothing to do with the mouse as such - its defiantly software (in this case, XMBC) - the question is, can anything be done about it.

I will let you know what I find when I get hold of FEAR2.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-9600k, Asus Z390-ROG, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, Evo 970 500Gb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:00 am

Are you using an application specific settings for fear2.exe ???
If so, can you please try deleting that app specific setting and changing the default settings, to see if it works.

Also, do you have the MS mouse software installed as well as XMBC? This could be interfering - although if the drop down boxes highlight in XMBC then I guess not.

Last thing to check the first poster said they used ENTER. Do you mean the Enter option or a simulated keystroke option? Simulated keystrokes are probably more reliable but to simulate the "enter" key you need to put {RETURN} in the simulated keystrokes box. Maybe that is what is wrong - {ENTER} or ENTER is an unknown simulated keystroke. The next version of XMBC will allow {ENTER} as well as {RETURN} for what its worth.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

shinobi
New User

Post by shinobi » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:56 am

phil wrote:Are you using an application specific settings for fear2.exe ???
If so, can you please try deleting that app specific setting and changing the default settings, to see if it works.

Also, do you have the MS mouse software installed as well as XMBC? This could be interfering - although if the drop down boxes highlight in XMBC then I guess not.

Last thing to check the first poster said they used ENTER. Do you mean the Enter option or a simulated keystroke option? Simulated keystrokes are probably more reliable but to simulate the "enter" key you need to put {RETURN} in the simulated keystrokes box. Maybe that is what is wrong - {ENTER} or ENTER is an unknown simulated keystroke. The next version of XMBC will allow {ENTER} as well as {RETURN} for what its worth.

Thanks,
Phil
Yes I do have the path correct as it shows in the mouse menu under default...with pull down menus.

If I understand you correctly are you suggesting that I reassign the default keys in the game menu that I want and then assign the mouse x & y side buttons to the new keys that I assigned them too within the game controls setting?

Thanks for the help and program....looking forward in getting it to work.

summoner
New User

Post by summoner » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:42 am

Hi i`m using a microsoft HABU mouse and it works perfectly.
I used a simulated keystroke (9) for the left x button on my mouse then bound it to zoom in the game.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:51 pm

shinobi wrote: If I understand you correctly are you suggesting that I reassign the default keys in the game menu that I want and then assign the mouse x & y side buttons to the new keys that I assigned them too within the game controls setting?
OK, that's not quite what I meant...

By the way I now have tried XMBC in FEAR2 and it works fine for me...

This is what I mean for you to try:

In XMBC;
1) look in the list of specific applications and remove any specific settings for FEAR2.EXE
2) Select the default application, and then change the 4th and 5th buttons to "Simulated keystrokes" and try something like C and G in 4th and 5th respectively...

So it looks like the attached screenshot (NOTE: I'm using a newer test version of SNMPTP I expect you have 1.40 so it should look pretty similar)

3) Load FEAR2 and see if the 4th and 5th (left and right) X-buttons make you crouch / throw grenade.

If that works, then maybe its a problem with the "application specific" bit in XMBC. If not then Im lost because it works fine here (using default and also application specific).

Thanks,
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:54 pm

For info, this works fine for me...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--

shinobi
New User

Post by shinobi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:44 pm

phil wrote:For info, this works fine for me...
Followed per your instruction...removed steam.exe (this is what FEAR directs towards when browesing and selecting FEAR). Using the Default only as you suggested. The application works PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!
No matter which buttons I select. Thank You so much. :cheers:

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:03 pm

OK that's good news. then its an application specific issue. And I bet its because you used STEAM.EXE as the application process name!

Lets now try and get it working as application specific again.....

I'm guessing that the main problem is that steam.exe is NOT the process name for FEAR2, but more likely the steam game launcher (and we don't care about specific buttons for that!).

When steam launches FEAR 2, it will probably use a new process called fear2.exe (that what mine is called but I didn't get Fear2 through steam). The best way to find out for sure is to run FEAR2 and when you are in game, ALT+TAB back to windows, open task manager and see what processes are running... I bet there is something like "fear2.exe" but if not, make a list or screen shot of the processes and post it here - maybe I can spot it if you can't.

Once you work out the process name, use that name in the application specific settings (don't worry if you cant find (browse to) the exe, just type it into the open dialog as it exists in task manager). Then try assigning the buttons to that (remove them from the default profile first or you will not know for sure if its working :))

Let me know how you get on.
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

itechhen
New User

Post by itechhen » Sun May 10, 2009 3:06 am

Unfortunately, this does not work for me. i am using a Death Adder mouse by Razer and Fear 2 completely ignores the simulated keystrokes sent by XMBC.

i followed the instructions exactly, using default and then assigned simulated keys 'n' and 'h' for left and right side buttons. then under fear i have 'n' for 'Throw grenade' and 'h' for 'Slow motion' and in game the side buttons do nothing.

bummed

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Wed May 13, 2009 12:11 am

Hi,
Maybe you could enable debug logging, run FEAR2 press some buttons and then email me (or PM me) the log?
that might help see if there is a problem.

What version of XMBC are you running?

As I said, I managed to get it working but I havn't tried it recently so maybe something has been broken in the latest release.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

c0ntinuity
New User

Post by c0ntinuity » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:16 pm

I too am having strange issues with fear2........
if i load fear 2 it seems to be ignoring my simulated keystrokes, but if u bring up the ingame overlay and goto a text field the keystrokes are being sent.

Howevever if i enable debug logging fear2 works, but only when the debug logging is on. Any idea why it would work in debug mode and not in normal?

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:33 pm

Hummm, that sounds like a timing issue to me.... Debug logging slows things down quite a bit - maybe this is making it work. However I don't understand why slowing it down would make it work (I never had this problem in FEAR2 although I haven't played it much <yet>, just enough to test XMBC).

What simulated keys are you trying to set (and which dropdown option are you using in simulated keystrokes)?

If its a timing issue, you could try using "Send in a different thread" and you could try adding {WAITMS:x} before the actual key, which will wait a specified number of milliseconds. If that helps get it working let me know.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

c0ntinuity
New User

Post by c0ntinuity » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:32 pm

i am simulating buttons q and a
i had it set to send once as button is pressed

i tried adding the wait command with varying degrees of time up to half a second, and i also tried the new thread option too.
In all cases fear still would only work in debug mode, quite bizarre!