Update process has useless steps

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links or images until they have at least 4 posts.
iamntz
New User

Update process has useless steps

Post by iamntz »

Hey guys. I noticed that the app has at least a weird choice of notification for update. When I wake my PC from stand by i have the following notifications:

1) A tray balloon is show that a new version is available. Click on the balloon does exactly nothing
2) i have to open the app, where i see an alert: „a new version is available... blah blah”. Click OK, still nothing
3) I hit the about button, i see an alert again, then i have to click on either downloads or forums, then click on download link (or downloads page then download link)
4) Then, the update itself is really a set up, where i have to set paths, sign agreement, change installation options (where, btw, I could accidentally wipe all my settings), then hit finish and then, finally, open Installed Page

What should be the correct flow in my vision?
1) A tray balloon is shown. Click on the balloon will open a browser to either downloads page (if you have a stable version) or current beta version forum thread.
1.1) Alternately, you could show a download link (that follow the same logic as above) somewhere on the main window.
2) Download file, then just execute it, without no other screen nag or anything
3) Done.

What are you guys think?

Thanks!

phil
Site Admin

Re: Update process has useless steps

Post by phil »

1,2 &3 Yeh that would be lovely, any idea how to do it? (I know its possible because others do it).

The balloon window is a default windows notification and I was unable to find how to interact with clicks on it last time I looked.

4 - well there is no particualar differentiation currently between a new install and an update internally. I suppose I could do something different if it detects that you already have XMBC and not offer some of the screens.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 500Gb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

iamntz
New User

Post by iamntz »

I'm not sure what language are you using for XMBC, but here is an idea: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5084 ... -tray-icon

Also, for update you may take a look at how chrome (silently) or other apps (pre-install update in background, finish install on next restart of the app) does it.

(i can't give you exact how-to because I'm not a desktop programmer)

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Thanks :) I'll take a look (its C++ by the way) I'm sure I have already looked at that but it was a few years ago.
Its going to be low priority but then most XMBC stuff is low priority for me as unfortunately other things like work are taking up far too much of my time these days.
--[ Phil ]--

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

It works - expect to see something different in the next version.
I'm not sure how much I will achieve but hopefully some semi-automated update process at least :)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I've change it all.
Clicking on the balloon will now ask you if you want to update, and if so will download and install the update automatically (and the update is much smaller which will help me save some bandwidth too).

Its all in the latest beta but of course, the changes wont come into play until the next update after that (i.e. 2.10 beta 2).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--