Button Chording (Sort of)

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links or images until they have at least 4 posts.
trackballer
New User

Button Chording (Sort of)

Post by trackballer »

[Intro]
I'm a trackball user and I have several different models. Two of the cult models (Logitech Trackman FX + FX Cordless) don't have scroll wheels or similar. The old FX drivers from Logitech would allow you to use button 4 as a scroll mode with the trackball. As the drivers aren't supported anymore, several users suggested the "Change Movement to Scroll" option in X-mouse. Great, now I can scroll! But there are only four buttons on the trackball and I'm used to having R/L, Middle, Back and Forward buttons. There is definitely no way on this trackball to have 5 buttons plus a Scroll function without button chording. So after failing in several other possibilities (using scroll side-to-side as forward/back, trying to change layers with sticky scroll, etc) I came across a useable solution. My apologies if this was already posted but I couldn't find an example.

[Useful Part]
Essentially this is chording by split button state.
(Layer 1):
LMB:No Change (nc)
RMB: SimKeys (pressed){LAYER2}{RMB}
MMB:nc
MB4:Change Movement to Scroll

(Layer 2):
LMB:nc
RMB:SimKeys (released){LAYER1}
MMB:SimKeys (pressed){BACK}{MMB}
MB4:SimKeys (pressed){FORWARD}{MMB}

How it works: Pressing RMB moves to Layer 2 AND sends the {RMB} command to the application. Initially, a right-click menu appears. If you release the RMB: the right-click menu persists like it normally would until you click elsewhere or cancel it. But because you move to Layer 2 on the down (press) event, you stay in Layer 2 until you release RMB. In Layer 2 use any keys other than the RMB for the additional functions. Since I'm trying to get back/forward, that's the example I've used. The {MMB} command after the back/forward commands clears the right-click menu. If you don't do that (or cancel it with an alternative command) the right menu will persist after the chord. You'll then have to clear it manually each time you use back/forward chord. For this simple use the up/down layer selection provides another useful feature: multiple Layer 2 button presses with one RMB press. IE: you can go back/forward unlimited times while the RMB is still down and return to Layer 1 normally.

Above is a very basic example. You could get really complicated with it and even overlap two chords like this (haven't tried it yet):
(Layer 1)
RMB: SimKeys (pressed){LAYER2}{RMB}

(Layer 2):
LMB:SimKeys (pressed){LAYER3}
MMB:SimKeys (pressed){MMB}{ALT}{TAB}
MB4:SimKeys (pressed){MMB}{ALT}{F4}

(Layer 3):
LMB:SimKeys (released){LAYER2}
MMB:SimKeys (pressed){MMB}{LWIN}{TAB}{TAB}s
MB4:MB4:SimKeys (pressed){MMB}{APPS}

I'm sure there are fringe cases where this work-around causes unintended behaviour, but it works fine in the web browsing and normal usage I've given it. I'll reply back with any issues I find.

clubfan
Dedicated

Re: Button Chording (Sort of)

Post by clubfan »

not fucking brain - Phil-a. / he does not have time to create macro commands the behavior of yours mouse.

please explanations in 3 - 4 lines.
Please write - only the basic ....
. i am read- torment.

just what you want to do
and what the program ?.
and I will give you a detailed answer-ready solution that you will need to make, what you have achieved what you wanted ..

PS: Phil. already knows about an automatic transition to first layer .. so we'll wait for the update.

trackballer
New User

Post by trackballer »

BTW, your post came out a little like a bot so I'm confused.
clubfan wrote:not fucking brain
Bad troll...down :hide:
clubfan wrote:Phil-a. / he does not have time to create macro commands the behavior of yours mouse.
clubfan wrote:just what you want to do...I will give you a detailed answer
You didn't read carefully. I am not requesting or suggesting a feature or help. I'm providing a method for (almost) button chords if someone would like to use them. I gave a practical and a hypothetical use-scenario. Enjoy or ignore.
clubfan wrote:please explanations in 3 - 4 lines.
Please write - only the basic ....
I'm sorry you don't like to read (but it explains the above), next time skip to the [Useful Part].

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

trackballer wrote: Bad troll...down :hide:
Here Here - lets keep it polite people!

I did read you post and I realised it wasn't a request so I didn't respond immediately.
Thank you for the helpful suggestion!
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-9600k, Asus Z390-ROG, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, Evo 970 500Gb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)